New leadership, potential opportunities
With the UK’s Conservative Party choosing a new Prime Minister on September 5, stay aware of how the markets could react in response to the ultimate selection.
Meet the candidates
Both Rishi Sunak and Liz Truss served under Boris Johnson, but now each must prove to the members of their party that he or she is the best choice to succeed the former Prime Minister. Here’s how the two candidates compare:
- Sunak, the former finance minister in Johnson’s administration, was involved in the “Partygate” scandal with Johnson and will face questions over those associations. However, he is also known as being instrumental to introducing well-received public measures during the pandemic.
- Still serving as Johnson’s foreign secretary, Truss is understandably known as the candidate more likely to be a continuation of the Johnson era. She is endorsed by many of Johnson’s most loyal allies, and her selection could represent a desire to maintain the status quo.
No matter how the leadership election shakes out, it will be important to keep an eye on its effect on the markets. Whether it’s a tepid response, a seismic one, or somewhere in between, we will have you covered with news and analysis to inform your trading.OPEN AN ACCOUNT
Our global research team identifies the information that drives markets so you can forecast potential price movement and seize forex trading opportunities.
- 2022 Conservative Party leadership election: What’s at stake for the FTSE? August 19, 2022 10:57 AM
- 2022 Conservative Party leadership election: What’s at stake for the GBP? August 18, 2022 9:34 AM
- 2022 Conservative Party leadership election: Who will be the UK’s next PM? August 17, 2022 11:52 AM
Why trade the election with FOREX.com?
Leading insight & analysis
Enhance your trading strategies with tips and analysis from our expert team of industry leaders.