Equity Brief: Indices Hit Record Highs Ahead of Big Bank Earnings
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT July 12, 2019 4:11 PM
Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
- US indices closed higher, with the Dow Jones, S&P 500, and Nasdaq 100 indices all closing at record highs.
- Industrial stocks (XLI) were the strongest sector for the second straight day, while Health Care (XLV) brought up the rear. Earnings season kicks off in earnest next week, with the megabanks in focus.
- US Treasury Secretary Mnuchin declared that the US may hit its debt ceiling before Congress returns from summer recess. This potential headwind will be more and more important as we approach the end of the month.
- Stocks on the move:
- Genetics company Illumina (ILMN) dropped 16% after cutting revenue guidance by $50MM.
- Milacron (MCRN) surged 26% on news that it would be acquired by Hillendbrand (HI) for $2B. HI dropped 12% on the day.
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is not targeted at the general public of any particular country. It is not intended for distribution to residents in any country where such distribution or use would contravene any local law or regulatory requirement. The information and opinions in this report are for general information use only and are not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any currency or CFD contract. All opinions and information contained in this report are subject to change without notice. This report has been prepared without regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any particular recipient. Any references to historical price movements or levels is informational based on our analysis and we do not represent or warranty that any such movements or levels are likely to reoccur in the future. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness, nor does author assume any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss that may result from the reliance by any person upon any such information or opinions.
Futures, Options on Futures, Foreign Exchange and other leveraged products involves significant risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Losses can exceed your deposits. Increasing leverage increases risk. Spot Gold and Silver contracts are not subject to regulation under the U.S. Commodity Exchange Act. Contracts for Difference (CFDs) are not available for US residents. Before deciding to trade forex and commodity futures, you should carefully consider your financial objectives, level of experience and risk appetite. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained herein is intended as general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with the understanding that we do not provide any investment, legal, or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all investment, legal, or tax matters. References to Forex.com or GAIN Capital refer to GAIN Capital Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries. Please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options.