Equity Brief: S&P 500 Unable to Hold 3,000…For Now
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT July 10, 2019 9:08 PM
See a summary of the top stock themes and trends from today's US session!
Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
- US indices closed marginally higher on the day, boosted by expectations of a Fed rate cut later this month.
- Energy stocks (XLE) led the way higher as oil rallied more than 4%; Financials (XLF) brought up the rear.
- Fed Chairman Powell struck a dovish note in his semi-annual testimony to Congress, citing the risk that weak inflation will be even more persistent and that uncertainties continue to dim the Fed’s outlook. Separately, the minutes from the June FOMC minutes confirmed his message, noting that “many” officials saw risks weighted to the downside and a stronger case for cutting interest rates.
- Stocks on the move:
- MSC Industrial Direct (MSM) dropped 3.8% after missing profit and revenue expectations, though the company did boost its dividend by nearly 20%
- T-Mobile US (TMUS) gained 4.7% on news that it would become a member of the S&P 500.
- Levi Strauss (LEVI) shed nearly 12% after reporting declining earnings after the close yesterday.
Disclaimer: GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as "Forex.com") is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, Forex.com does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by Forex.com or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although Forex.com is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, Forex.com does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.
For further details see our full non-independent research disclaimer and quarterly summary.