FX Handover: Iran Sanctions Weigh On Sentiment Ahead Of G20
Matt Simpson June 25, 2019 5:46 AM
A summary of news and snapshot of moves from today’s Asia session.
- A risk off session in Asia saw gold and JPY strengthen and weigh on USD.
- Trump placed sanctions on Iranian supreme leader and top officials. Iran says the sanctions mean the diplomatic path has closed forever.
- Ahead of the G20, a senior official claims Trump said Trump is “comfortable with any outcome” from talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Gold burst to a 6-year high with little in the way of resistance coming from the 2013 high. USD/JPY fell to its lowest level since January’s flash crash. Asian equities broadly lower, led by Hang Seng 1400 and China’s CSI300. US futures all point lower.
- NZD and JPY are the strongest majors, CAD, AUD and USD are the weakest.
Disclaimer: GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as "Forex.com") is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, Forex.com does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by Forex.com or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although Forex.com is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, Forex.com does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.
For further details see our full non-independent research disclaimer and quarterly summary.