Bitcoin Futures Trading
Bitcoin futures trading was launched in the United States late 2017, providing many opportunities for those traders and investors wishing to speculate on cryptocurrencies without actually having to buy and own Bitcoins. Trading commenced in December 2017, when two major US exchanges officially began to offer new futures products:
- Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) – 12/10/2017 Launch of XBT (CBOE Bitcoin USD Futures)
- CME Group – 12/18/2017 Launch of BTC (Bitcoin Futures)
Other major market exchanges are also slated to begin offering Bitcoin futures products in 2018 and beyond.
The advantages of trading Bitcoin futures versus simply buying and owning the cryptocurrency include:
- Immediate exposure to Bitcoin price movements with the ability to trade Bitcoin futures long or short, without having to hold the underlying Bitcoins
- Easily execute both short-term and long-term trading strategies, or hedge any existing Bitcoin holdings
- Use margin and leverage to control Bitcoin futures positions, allowing efficient use of account equity
- Employ stop losses, profit limit orders, and other trade management techniques on futures positions that are just not possible when simply holding Bitcoins
Bitcoin trading is not available to US residents through Forex.com. US residents who are interested in trading Bitcoin Futures can visit our affiliate, futuresonline for more information. Trading futures contracts or commodity options involves significant risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Futures accounts will be held and maintained at GAIN Capital Group, LLC, a registered Commission Merchant ("FCM").