Daily Global Macro Technical Trend Bias/Key Levels (Tues 05 Jun)
Kelvin Wong June 5, 2018 4:30 AM
Mix bag in FX space with USD/JPY remains on solid footing due to improved risk appetite.
FX – Mix bag with AUD/USD at major resistance
- EUR/USD – Trend bias: Short-term recovery scenario remains intact. A slight push up higher was seen in yesterday, 04 Jun European session where it printed a minor higher high of 1.1744 before it pull-backed by 67 pips in the U.S. session to hit a low of 1.1677. No change, maintain bullish bias in any dips with 1.1600/1590 remains at the key short-term support for a further potential push up towards the next intermediate resistances at 1.1760 (former minor swing low areas of 21 Nov/12 Dec 2017) follow by 1.1880/1940 (38.2% Fibonacci retracement of the decline from 16 Feb 2018 high to 29 May 2018 low + former minor swing low area of 09/10 Jan 2018 that was rejected on 14 May 2018). On the other hand, failure to hold at 1.1590 negates the recovery process for a slide to retest last week’s low of 1.1510 and a below it exposes the lower limit of the key major support zone at 1.1430 (the former resistance of a basing configuration that occurred in May 2015/Jun 2016 + 50% Fibonacci of the multi-year up move from Jan 2017 low to 16 Feb 2018 high of 1.2555).
- GBP/USD – Trend bias: Short-term mean reversion rebound in progress. Inched higher as expected, it printed a high of 1.3398 in yesterday, 04 Jun European session before it pull-backed by 103 pips in the U.S session to print a low of 1.3295. In addition, the 4 hour Stochastic oscillator is now back at its oversold region with the pair still holding at the predefined 1.3295 key short-term support as per highlighted in yesterday report. No change, maintain bullish bias as long as 1.3295 support holds for a further potential residual push up to target the next intermediate resistance at 1.3480 (former minor range congestion support from 04/18 May 2018 + 23.6% Fibonacci retracement of the on-going down move from 17 Apr 2018 high to 29 May low of 1.3205). However, a break below 1.3295 invalidates the short-term rebound scenario for a continuation of the medium-term down move to target the next support at 1.3200/3160 (29 May 2018 swing low area + 50% Fibonacci retracement of the multi-year up move from Oct 2016 low to 17 Apr 2018 high of 1.4377).
- AUD/USD – Trend bias: At risk of resuming its medium-term down move. The pair had hit the short-term rebound target/resistance of 0.7625/7655 as expected (refer to yesterday report). Elliot Wave/fractal analysis suggests that the risk of a bearish impulsive downleg sequence at this juncture where the pair is now right below a major graphical resistance zone of 0.7655/7690 (the pull-back resistance of the former major bearish “Ascending Wedge” support from Jan 2016 + former medium-term swing low area of 20 Mar 2018). In addition, the 4 hour Stochastic oscillator has exited from its overbought region. Flip to a bearish bias in any bounce below key resistance at 0.7690 for a potential push down to target the intermediate support at 0.7600/7585 (the former minor high areas of 22/31 May 2018) and breaking below 0.7585 opens up scope for a further potential push down to target the next intermediate resistance at 0.7515 (the minor swing low of 01 Jun 2018 & the lower boundary of the minor ascending channel from 09 May 2018 low). On the other hand, a clearance above 0.7690 invalidates the bearish scenario for a further squeeze up towards the next resistance at 0.7800 (medium-term swing high of 13/19 Apr 2018 & close to 50% Fibonacci retracement of the entire down move from 26 Jan 2018 high to 09 May 2018 low).
- NZD/USD - Trend bias: Sideways. Pushed up as expected and hit the intermediate resistance/target of 0.7050/60 (refer to yesterday report) as it printed a high of 0.7048 in yesterday, 04 Jun European session. Mix elements now, prefer to turn neutral first between 0.7060 (former minor swing high area of 04 May 2018 + Fibonacci projection/retracement cluster) and 0.7015 (the former minor swing high areas of 31 May/01 Jun 2018 + minor steep ascending trendline from 30 May 2018 low). A clearance (an hourly close) above 0.7060 triggers a potential squeeze up to retest a significant medium-term resistance at 0.7190 (the former range support from 08 Feb/20 Mar 2018 before the recent bearish breakdown that led to a decline of 330 pips + 61.8% Fibonacci retracement of the decline from 13 Apr 2018 high to 16 May 2018 low). On the flipside, failure to hold at 0.7015 opens up scope for a decline towards the intermediate support of 0.6960 (the former minor swing low area of 01 Jun 2018) and below exposes the next support of 0.6900 (psychological + minor ascending trendline from 15 May 2018/the start of the current short-term rebound).
- USD/JPY - Trend bias: Short-term mean reversion rebound remains in progress. Continued to push up higher as expected (printed a current intraday high of 109.99 in today, 05 Jun Asian session). No change, maintain bullish bias in any dips with adjusted key short-term support now at 109.60 (the lower boundary of a minor ascending channel from 31 May 2018 low + close to the former minor swing high areas of 01/04 Jun 2018) for a further potential push up to target the intermediate resistance at 110.10/30 (minor swing high of 24 May 2018 + 61.8% Fibonacci retracement of the decline from 21 May high to 29 May 2018 low) and above it opens up scope for a further rally towards 110.60 next (upper boundary of the aforementioned minor ascending channel + Fibonacci retracement/projection cluster). However, failure to hold at 109.60 negates the bullish tone for a deeper pull-back to retest the next intermediate support at 109.35 (the minor swing low of 04 Jun 2018) and below it triggers a further extension towards 109.10/109.00 support next (psychological + former minor range resistance from 29/30 May 2018).
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is not targeted at the general public of any particular country. It is not intended for distribution to residents in any country where such distribution or use would contravene any local law or regulatory requirement. The information and opinions in this report are for general information use only and are not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any currency or CFD contract. All opinions and information contained in this report are subject to change without notice. This report has been prepared without regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any particular recipient. Any references to historical price movements or levels is informational based on our analysis and we do not represent or warranty that any such movements or levels are likely to reoccur in the future. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness, nor does author assume any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss that may result from the reliance by any person upon any such information or opinions.
Futures, Options on Futures, Foreign Exchange and other leveraged products involves significant risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Losses can exceed your deposits. Increasing leverage increases risk. Spot Gold and Silver contracts are not subject to regulation under the U.S. Commodity Exchange Act. Contracts for Difference (CFDs) are not available for US residents. Before deciding to trade forex and commodity futures, you should carefully consider your financial objectives, level of experience and risk appetite. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained herein is intended as general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with the understanding that we do not provide any investment, legal, or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all investment, legal, or tax matters. References to Forex.com or GAIN Capital refer to GAIN Capital Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries. Please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options.