Market Brief: Oil Unchanged as OPEC Rumors Fly
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT December 5, 2019 4:12 PM
See a summary of the top market themes and trends from today's US trading session!
View our guide on how to interpret the FX Dashboard.
- OPEC is reportedly considering cutting production by another 500k barrels per day until at least June, more than some analysts were anticipating. The cartel will make its formal decision public tomorrow.
- Traders haven’t paid it much mind yet, but US Speaker Nancy Pelosi formally announced that the House of Representatives would be drafting articles of impeachment against President Trump.
- US data: Initial Unemployment Claims printed at 203k, a better-than-expected reading that the 215k economists were anticipated. Traders are looking ahead to tomorrow’s marquee Non-Farm Payrolls report.
- FX: The British pound was once again the strongest major currency, extending its gains against rivals. The Australian dollar was the weakest. Accordingly, GBP/AUD has rallied to its highest levels in nearly 3.5 years at 1.9260.
- Commodities: Both gold and oil were flat on the day, despite OPEC rumors flying.
- US indices closed modestly higher on a quiet day.
- Financials (XLF) were the strongest major sector on the day; Energy (XLE) brought up the rear.
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is not targeted at the general public of any particular country. It is not intended for distribution to residents in any country where such distribution or use would contravene any local law or regulatory requirement. The information and opinions in this report are for general information use only and are not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any currency or CFD contract. All opinions and information contained in this report are subject to change without notice. This report has been prepared without regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any particular recipient. Any references to historical price movements or levels is informational based on our analysis and we do not represent or warranty that any such movements or levels are likely to reoccur in the future. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness, nor does author assume any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss that may result from the reliance by any person upon any such information or opinions.
Futures, Options on Futures, Foreign Exchange and other leveraged products involves significant risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Losses can exceed your deposits. Increasing leverage increases risk. Spot Gold and Silver contracts are not subject to regulation under the U.S. Commodity Exchange Act. Contracts for Difference (CFDs) are not available for US residents. Before deciding to trade forex and commodity futures, you should carefully consider your financial objectives, level of experience and risk appetite. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained herein is intended as general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with the understanding that we do not provide any investment, legal, or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all investment, legal, or tax matters. References to Forex.com or GAIN Capital refer to GAIN Capital Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries. Please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options.