Wide Ranging Bars
What are Wide Ranging Bars?
- Wide ranging, or long, bars occur when there is a bar that is at least 2-3 times longer than normal bars on the chart.
- Often are the result of a major news announcement although this is not always the case.
Why are Wide Ranging Bars important?
- Wide ranging bars signal strong momentum in the direction of the bar.
- May signal that there is little buying interest in a bar down, and little selling interest in a bar up.
- Can signal that possible support and resistance will not hold
So how do I use them?
If there is a wide ranging bar, generally that is a signal to stay out of the market. Our technical reports generally look for short term reversal points. If there is a wide ranging bar going into our entry, it may be a signal that the pattern being traded will not hold. In this case, we may simply cancel the trade.
Bearish Wide Ranging Bar (USD/CHF, 30 minute)
Bullish Wide Ranging Bar (EUR/CHF, 30 minute)