ASX 200 start of a potential multi-week corrective decline
Kelvin Wong July 26, 2019 3:00 AM
Short-term technical outlook on ASX 200/Australia 200 Index (Fri 26 Jul)
click to enlarge charts
Key technical elements
- The Australia 200 Index (proxy for the ASX 200 futures) has staged the expected rally and hit the medium-term upside target/resistance of 6815/6850 as per highlighted in our weekly outlook report published earlier on Mon (click here for a recap).
- After a rally of 3.10% from 17 Jul 20019 to yesterday, 25 Jul U.S. session high of 6834, the Index is now showing signs of bullish exhaustion where it has formed a daily “Spinning Top” right below its current all-time high level of 6851 printed in Oct 2019 coupled with a bearish divergence signal seen in the daily RSI oscillator at its overbought region in place since 05 Jul 2019.
- Elliot Wave/fractal analysis suggests that the intermediate degree impulsive up move sequence; wave 3 in place since 03 Jun 2019 low of 6301 may have ended where a multi-week corrective decline wave 4 sequence should unfold next.
- The hourly Stochastic oscillator still has room for further upside before it reaches an extreme overbought level which translates to a potential bounce in price action of the Index after a 0.8% decline from yesterday high of 6834 to today’s Asia session current intraday low of 6777.
- Key short-term resistance stands at 6812 which is defined by the 61.8% Fibonacci retracement of the on-going slide from 6834 high to 6777 current intraday low and the former minor swing low seen in yesterday’s Asian session.
Key Levels (1 to 3 days)
Pivot (key resistance): 6812
Supports: 6795 & 6730 (50% retracement of rally from 17 Jul low to 25 Jul 2019 high)
Next resistance: 6851 (all-time high)
If the 6812 key short-term pivotal resistance is not surpassed, the Index is likely to undergo a corrective decline to target the next supports at 6795 and 6730 in the first step.
Failure to hold below 6812 sees the continuation of the up move to challenge the all-time high level of 6851.
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is not targeted at the general public of any particular country. It is not intended for distribution to residents in any country where such distribution or use would contravene any local law or regulatory requirement. The information and opinions in this report are for general information use only and are not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any currency or CFD contract. All opinions and information contained in this report are subject to change without notice. This report has been prepared without regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any particular recipient. Any references to historical price movements or levels is informational based on our analysis and we do not represent or warranty that any such movements or levels are likely to reoccur in the future. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness, nor does author assume any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss that may result from the reliance by any person upon any such information or opinions.
Futures, Options on Futures, Foreign Exchange and other leveraged products involves significant risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Losses can exceed your deposits. Increasing leverage increases risk. Spot Gold and Silver contracts are not subject to regulation under the U.S. Commodity Exchange Act. Contracts for Difference (CFDs) are not available for US residents. Before deciding to trade forex and commodity futures, you should carefully consider your financial objectives, level of experience and risk appetite. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained herein is intended as general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with the understanding that we do not provide any investment, legal, or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all investment, legal, or tax matters. References to Forex.com or GAIN Capital refer to GAIN Capital Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries. Please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options.