Equity Handover: Facebook Gains 4% on Cryptocurrency Optimism
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT June 17, 2019 9:00 PM
See a summary of the top stock themes and trends from today's US session!
Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
- After trading in positive territory for the entire day, US indices closed essentially flat in a quiet session.
- Communication Services (XLC) was the best performing sector on the day; Financials (XLF) were the weakest.
- US macroeconomic data:
- The Empire Fed Manufacturing Index (June) dropped to a nearly 3-year low at -8.6.
- The NAHB Housing Market Index (June) dropped to 64, below 67 expected
- Stocks on the move:
- Facebook (FB) rose 4% ahead of the tomorrow’s release of the whitepaper for its cryptocurrency Libra coin
- Netflix (NFLX) tacked on 3% after an analyst at Piper Jaffray issued a bullish forecast for US subscriber growth.
- Array BioPharma (ARRY) rocketed 57% after agreeing to be acquired by Pfizer for $11.4B.
- Auction house Sotheby’s (BID) rallied 59% in a $3.7B takeover deal from BidFair USA.
*There are no high-impact corporate announcements expected during tomorrow’s Asian session.*
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is not targeted at the general public of any particular country. It is not intended for distribution to residents in any country where such distribution or use would contravene any local law or regulatory requirement. The information and opinions in this report are for general information use only and are not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any currency or CFD contract. All opinions and information contained in this report are subject to change without notice. This report has been prepared without regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any particular recipient. Any references to historical price movements or levels is informational based on our analysis and we do not represent or warranty that any such movements or levels are likely to reoccur in the future. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness, nor does author assume any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss that may result from the reliance by any person upon any such information or opinions.
Futures, Options on Futures, Foreign Exchange and other leveraged products involves significant risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Losses can exceed your deposits. Increasing leverage increases risk. Spot Gold and Silver contracts are not subject to regulation under the U.S. Commodity Exchange Act. Contracts for Difference (CFDs) are not available for US residents. Before deciding to trade forex and commodity futures, you should carefully consider your financial objectives, level of experience and risk appetite. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained herein is intended as general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with the understanding that we do not provide any investment, legal, or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all investment, legal, or tax matters. References to Forex.com or GAIN Capital refer to GAIN Capital Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries. Please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options.