Market Brief: Risk Rally Relaxes into the Close
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT November 4, 2019 9:04 PM
See a summary of the top market themes and trends from today's US trading session!
View our guide on how to interpret the FX Dashboard.
- Risk-on trading was the theme of the day amidst ongoing optimism over US-China trade and data that suggested Europe’s economy was stabilizing, though some of the optimism faded by the end of the US session.
- FX: The US dollar was the strongest major currency on the day, while the New Zealand dollar brought up the rear. We’re keeping a close eye on the RBA meeting and the AUD/USD during tomorrow’s Asian session.
- Commodities: Oil inched about 0.5% higher while gold was essentially flat
- See the key data and market themes we’ll be watching in the coming week!
- US indices closed higher on the day, though off the best levels after an afternoon fade.
- Energy (XLE) was by far the strongest sector on the day, while defensive Utilities (XLU), Consumer Staples (XLP), and REITs (XLRE) brought up the rear.
- Stocks on the move:
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) gained 1% today after reporting its biggest ever operating profit, boosted by record earnings at BNSF. The company’s cash stockpile now sits at $128B.
- McDonald’s (MCD) dropped -3% after its CEO was ousted following a relationship with an employee.
- Under Armour (UA) confirmed it was the subject of a government probe into its accounting, driving the stock down -18%.
- Uber (UBER) reported a net loss of -$0.68 per share on slightly lower gross bookings than expected. The stock is trading down by -4% in volatile after-hours trade.
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is not targeted at the general public of any particular country. It is not intended for distribution to residents in any country where such distribution or use would contravene any local law or regulatory requirement. The information and opinions in this report are for general information use only and are not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any currency or CFD contract. All opinions and information contained in this report are subject to change without notice. This report has been prepared without regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any particular recipient. Any references to historical price movements or levels is informational based on our analysis and we do not represent or warranty that any such movements or levels are likely to reoccur in the future. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness, nor does author assume any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss that may result from the reliance by any person upon any such information or opinions.
Futures, Options on Futures, Foreign Exchange and other leveraged products involves significant risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Losses can exceed your deposits. Increasing leverage increases risk. Spot Gold and Silver contracts are not subject to regulation under the U.S. Commodity Exchange Act. Contracts for Difference (CFDs) are not available for US residents. Before deciding to trade forex and commodity futures, you should carefully consider your financial objectives, level of experience and risk appetite. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained herein is intended as general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with the understanding that we do not provide any investment, legal, or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all investment, legal, or tax matters. References to Forex.com or GAIN Capital refer to GAIN Capital Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries. Please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options.