U>S Stock Selection: FedEx facing further downside pressure ahead of earnings release
Kelvin Wong June 25, 2019 10:19 AM
FedEx's long-term primary uptrend since Mar 2009 has been damaged.
click to enlarge charts
FedEx will announce its Q4 fiscal year earnings ended May 2019 later today, 25 Jun after the close of the U.S. session. Based on data from Refinitiv, analysts have estimated its earnings per share (EPS) to come in at 4.85 which is 18% below the similar quarter a year ago. Below are some key fundamental quick facts before we dive into the technical analysis of FedEx:
- In the previous Q3 fiscal year earnings ended Feb 2019, its actual EPS came in at 3.03 which as below expectations by -2.67% against a mean estimate of 3.11.
- Earnings have been projected lower due to headwinds from slower global economic that will impact its transportation business due to on-going trade tensions between U.S. and China.
Key technical elements
- In yesterday’s 24 Jun U.S. session, the share price of FDX has staged a breakdown from the minor “bearish flag” ascending range configuration in place since 03 Jun 2019 low of 150.68 now turns pull-back resistance at 165.13
- The breakdown from the minor ‘bearish flag” has been accompanied by an increased in volume versus its 10-day average volume since 03Jun 2019 low.
- Medium-term price momentum remains negative as indicated by the daily RSI oscillator.
- The key medium-term resistance stands at 169.85 which is also the pull-back resistance of the former long-term primary ascending support from Mar 2009 low.
- Relative strength analysis from the ratios of FDX against its industry sector (S&P Industrials XLI) and the U.S. benchmark stock index (S&P 500) have continued to exhibit medium-term weakness/underperformance.
Key Levels (1 to 3 weeks)
Intermediate resistance: 165.13
Pivot (key resistance): 169.85
Next resistance: 190.65/198.00
If the 165.13 key medium-term pivotal resistance is not surpassed, FDX is likely to see the start of another impulsive downleg sequence to target the next significant medium-term support zone at 145.10/140.00 (also a Fibonacci expansion cluster).
However, a clearance with a daily close above 169.85 invalidates the bearish scenario to kick start a corrective rebound sequence towards the next resistance at 190.65/198.00 (also the median line of the major descending channel in place since 18 Jan 2018).
Charts are from eSignal
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is not targeted at the general public of any particular country. It is not intended for distribution to residents in any country where such distribution or use would contravene any local law or regulatory requirement. The information and opinions in this report are for general information use only and are not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any currency or CFD contract. All opinions and information contained in this report are subject to change without notice. This report has been prepared without regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any particular recipient. Any references to historical price movements or levels is informational based on our analysis and we do not represent or warranty that any such movements or levels are likely to reoccur in the future. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness, nor does author assume any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss that may result from the reliance by any person upon any such information or opinions.
Futures, Options on Futures, Foreign Exchange and other leveraged products involves significant risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Losses can exceed your deposits. Increasing leverage increases risk. Spot Gold and Silver contracts are not subject to regulation under the U.S. Commodity Exchange Act. Contracts for Difference (CFDs) are not available for US residents. Before deciding to trade forex and commodity futures, you should carefully consider your financial objectives, level of experience and risk appetite. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained herein is intended as general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with the understanding that we do not provide any investment, legal, or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all investment, legal, or tax matters. References to Forex.com or GAIN Capital refer to GAIN Capital Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries. Please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options.