[Video] A Bad Day for Equity Bulls Sees Gold Hold Support
Matt Simpson April 21, 2021 3:47 AM
Major benchmark indices fell in tandem yesterday, with Wall Street following Europe’s lead. Yet this allowed gold to catch a bid above a key support level.
In today’s video we look at Euro STOXX 50 index which endured its worse session in two months. We also look at key levels for gold and update our WTI analysis.
Updates to previous videos:
- Albemarle Corp (ALB) was dragged lower with the general market yesterday, falling -5.7% by the close. It requires a break above 162.00 to confirm our bullish bias so it remains on the watchlist. But, if sentiment remains sour and prices cut below 141.90, it will be removed.
- In similar vein to Albemarle, Fortune Brands (FHBS) was dragged lower during a risk-off session. Given it had nearly reached target and cut below 101.70 (to confirm its dark cloud cover reversal) we’re happy with its performance overall, so it’s off the watchlist for now.
- Newmont (NEM) saw an intraday break above 54.78 resistance yet closed more or less on it. Ideally prices will continue to hold above 63.63 support (breakout level) and resume its trend.
S&P 500: Market Internals
S&P 500: 4134.94 (-0.68%), 20 April 2021
- Real Estate (1.12%) was the strongest sector and Consumer Discretionary (-1.22%) was the weakest
- 5 out of the 11 sectors outperformed the S&P 500
- 7 out of the 11 sectors traded lower on the S&P 500
- 187 (37.03%) stocks advanced and 314 (62.18%) declined
- 96.63% of stocks closed above their 200-day average
- 79.01% of stocks closed above their 50-day average
- 69.11% of stocks closed above their 20-day average
- + 15.2% - Kansas City Southern (KSU.N)
- + 4.15% - Enphase Energy Inc (ENPH.OQ)
- + 3.79% - International Business Machines Corp (IBM.N)
- -8.53% - United Airlines Holdings Inc (UAL.OQ)
- -6.52% - Zions Bancorporation NA (ZION.OQ)
- -5.92% - APA Corp (US) (APA.OQ)
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is not targeted at the general public of any particular country. It is not intended for distribution to residents in any country where such distribution or use would contravene any local law or regulatory requirement. The information and opinions in this report are for general information use only and are not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any currency or CFD contract. All opinions and information contained in this report are subject to change without notice. This report has been prepared without regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any particular recipient. Any references to historical price movements or levels is informational based on our analysis and we do not represent or warranty that any such movements or levels are likely to reoccur in the future. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness, nor does author assume any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss that may result from the reliance by any person upon any such information or opinions.
Futures, Options on Futures, Foreign Exchange and other leveraged products involves significant risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Losses can exceed your deposits. Increasing leverage increases risk. Spot Gold and Silver contracts are not subject to regulation under the U.S. Commodity Exchange Act. Contracts for Difference (CFDs) are not available for US residents. Before deciding to trade forex and commodity futures, you should carefully consider your financial objectives, level of experience and risk appetite. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained herein is intended as general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with the understanding that we do not provide any investment, legal, or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all investment, legal, or tax matters. References to Forex.com or GAIN Capital refer to GAIN Capital Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries. Please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options.