[Video] Eyes Shift to the Fed After Strong CPI Report
Matt Simpson May 13, 2021 3:37 AM
Markets were highly correlated on strong inflation data yesterday, sending equities lower and the dollar higher. But will the Fed allow these trends to continue?
It’s all down to inflation expectations. If they remain elevated, equities are likely to remain under pressure and the dollar could continue to see short covering from its lows. But the Fed are yet to walk back their ‘easy’ approach with inflation, and if they can convince markets they still think inflation is transitory, these trends could quickly reverse.
In today’s video we look at US listed Peleton (PTON), catch up on silver and update our USD/CHF analysis from yesterday.
- Bears regained control yesterday, with the S&P 500 breaking beneath key support at 4118.38 to confirm the Nasdaq’s fall to 13,000. Next major support for the Nasdaq is a cluster of lows around 12750.
- Tesla (TSLA) fell to 589.89 and breached the March 30th low. It could now be headed for the lows around the 541-556 support zone, although take note that the 200-day eMA sits at 579.80 and may provide interim support.
- Apple also fell to its lowest level since the end of March, on its way to gap support target at 120.40-121.16. However, yesterday’s inverted hammer warns of potential support around current levels, but our bias remains bearish beneath 126.70. Should prices continue lower, major support sits at 118.86 where the April 1st low and 200-day eMA reside.
S&P 500: Market Internals
S&P 500: 4063.04 (-2.14%), 12 May 2021
- Energy (0.06%) was the strongest sector and Consumer Discretionary (-3.28%) was the weakest
- 5 out of the 11 sectors outperformed the S&P 500
- 10 out of the 11 sectors traded lower on the S&P 500
- 88 (17.43%) stocks advanced and 417 (82.57%) declined
- 92.08% of stocks closed above their 200-day average
- 59.8% of stocks closed above their 20-day average
- + 10.8% - NortonLifeLock Inc (NLOK.OQ)
- + 4.82% - Freeport-McMoRan Inc (FCX.N)
- + 3.15% - ServiceNow Inc (NOW.N)
- -11.9% - HanesBrands Inc (HBI.N)
- -7.89% - Occidental Petroleum Corp (OXY.N)
- -5.90% - Pioneer Natural Resources Co (PXD.N)
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is not targeted at the general public of any particular country. It is not intended for distribution to residents in any country where such distribution or use would contravene any local law or regulatory requirement. The information and opinions in this report are for general information use only and are not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any currency or CFD contract. All opinions and information contained in this report are subject to change without notice. This report has been prepared without regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any particular recipient. Any references to historical price movements or levels is informational based on our analysis and we do not represent or warranty that any such movements or levels are likely to reoccur in the future. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness, nor does author assume any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss that may result from the reliance by any person upon any such information or opinions.
Futures, Options on Futures, Foreign Exchange and other leveraged products involves significant risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Losses can exceed your deposits. Increasing leverage increases risk. Spot Gold and Silver contracts are not subject to regulation under the U.S. Commodity Exchange Act. Contracts for Difference (CFDs) are not available for US residents. Before deciding to trade forex and commodity futures, you should carefully consider your financial objectives, level of experience and risk appetite. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained herein is intended as general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with the understanding that we do not provide any investment, legal, or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all investment, legal, or tax matters. References to Forex.com or GAIN Capital refer to GAIN Capital Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries. Please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options.