Brexit Update: Up, Down, Up, Down, Down…Up…
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT November 14, 2018 2:05 PM
As anticipated Monday, we’ve already spilled plenty of digital ink on this week’s Brexit developments (see here, here, and here for examples), but the hits just keep coming!
The following is a brief (approximate) timeline of the headlines out of today’s rollercoaster of a cabinet meeting at 10 Downing Street [market comments in brackets]:
- 14:10 GMT: Cabinet members Mordaunt and McVey to resign [GBP/USD dropped to the low-1.2900s on fears of a mass exodus]
- 15:45 GMT: PM May scheduled to speak outside 10 Downing Street at 17:00 GMT [this was cheered by the market, as it suggested that the cabinet had agreed to bring the proposed deal to Parliament]
- 16:45 GMT: Cabinet meeting overrunning – not expected to finish until 18:00 or 19:00GMT [no major reaction in markets as hopes of an agreement remained intact]
- 17:25 GMT: Reuters reports May will not deliver a Brexit statement [GBP/USD falls sharply off its daily highs, shedding 100 pips in less than 30 minutes]
- 17:50 GMT: May to make a “short statement” after the cabinet meeting [GBP/USD spikes 75 pips in 10 minutes]
- 18:00 GMT: Rumors hit that letters of no confidence in May are being submitted [GBP/USD drops another 100 pips to below 1.2890]
- 18:15 GMT: May apparently secures cabinet support for her Brexit deal [GBP/USD explodes up to 1.3040, a fresh daily high]
Needless to say, any price-based analysis will be old news by the time this is published, but speaking generally, May’s difficulty getting the agreement through her cabinet may be an ominous sign for approval by the broader Parliament. Based on the latest headlines, it seems like disaster has been averted (or at least postponed), but there are still plenty of hurdles to clear…
Source: TradingView, FOREX.com
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is not targeted at the general public of any particular country. It is not intended for distribution to residents in any country where such distribution or use would contravene any local law or regulatory requirement. The information and opinions in this report are for general information use only and are not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any currency or CFD contract. All opinions and information contained in this report are subject to change without notice. This report has been prepared without regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any particular recipient. Any references to historical price movements or levels is informational based on our analysis and we do not represent or warranty that any such movements or levels are likely to reoccur in the future. While the information contained herein was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, author does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness, nor does author assume any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss that may result from the reliance by any person upon any such information or opinions.
Futures, Options on Futures, Foreign Exchange and other leveraged products involves significant risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Losses can exceed your deposits. Increasing leverage increases risk. Spot Gold and Silver contracts are not subject to regulation under the U.S. Commodity Exchange Act. Contracts for Difference (CFDs) are not available for US residents. Before deciding to trade forex and commodity futures, you should carefully consider your financial objectives, level of experience and risk appetite. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained herein is intended as general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with the understanding that we do not provide any investment, legal, or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all investment, legal, or tax matters. References to Forex.com or GAIN Capital refer to GAIN Capital Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries. Please read Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options.