- Australia's ASX 200 index fell by -8.2 points (-0.12%) and currently trades at 6,786.10
- Japan's Nikkei 225 index has risen by 128.35 points (0.46%) and currently trades at 27,931.35
- Hong Kong's Hang Seng index has risen by 14.75 points (0.07%) and currently trades at 20,589.38
- China's A50 Index has risen by 33.37 points (0.24%) and currently trades at 14,007.50
UK and Europe:
- UK's FTSE 100 futures are currently up 14 points (0.19%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 7,284.51
- Euro STOXX 50 futures are currently down -5 points (-0.14%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 3,591.51
- Germany's DAX futures are currently down -27 points (-0.2%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 13,219.64
- DJI futures are currently down -60 points (-0.19%)
- S&P 500 futures are currently down -109 points (-0.86%)
- Nasdaq 100 futures are currently down -18.75 points (-0.47%)
China’s share markets slipped on Friday due to reports of another outbreak in the region. The Nikkei is on track for its best week in four months, with growth stocks and shipping firms taking the lead. US futures have opened lower, roughly taking around half of yesterday’s gains away. European bourses are also lower, although the FTSE has bucked the trend and trades 0.2% higher from yesterday’s close.
Oil prices made minor gains overnight, but it appears more likely that the markets printed a swing high on Tuesday and could be set to fall further over the near-term. A stronger US dollar would clearly help with that outlook, so on that front it is encouraging to see the US dollar index has found support at the 20-day eMA and be may forming a swing low.
Gold daily chart:
Gold remains within an established bearish channel, although recent price action suggests an important swing low has formed. Yesterday’s low held above the August 2021 low (with the March 2021 low ~$5 beneath it). We highlighted the importance of these lows in yesterday’s Gold Wrap report. A bullish engulfing pattern has formed on the daily chart and tested a 4-day high, and provides a bullish bias over the near-term and potential for a rally to $1750 resistance. Retracements towards the $1700 / monthly S3 pivot would be desirable to increase the potential reward to rise ratio, otherwise a direct break of yesterday’s high assumes bullish continuation.
Economic events up next (Times in BST)
How to trade with FOREX.com
Follow these easy steps to start trading with FOREX.com today:
- Open a Forex.com account, or log in if you’re already a customer.
- Search for the pair you want to trade in our award-winning platform.
- Choose your position and size, and your stop and limit levels.
- Place the trade.